Who said Yum Cha is only ideal for elderly people? Here in Melbourne, amongst the younger community, we go for Yum Cha whether it's for a friend's birthday, a get together or just after a tremendous calories burning session (i.e. cold morning jogs). Anyway, I remember Yum Cha back home in Malaysia were always with my family. My mum will drag me up at 7am in the morning to get ready (because I'm basically really slow) and take me out for morning tea. In Melbourne, Yum Cha starts at 11am the earliest and the second session at 1pm. It's pretty much brunch if you really look at it and it's the best thing that someone who is not an early bird can enjoy. I 
especially love it during my uni days because during the stressful times of staying up till the wee hours in the mornings to study, I can still get hot steaming buns and some of my favourite Yum Cha dishes even if I woke up late.
And so we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly like the ageing people that we are (haha) at Westlake restaurant for Yum Cha to celebrate Ada's birthday. The food was good, the company was great and most importantly, we get to sleep in before our brunch at 11.30am. What more can you ask for?? And so, Yum Cha is becoming more like a "must do" activity whenever someone comes to visit us. I will definitely schedule one of their afternoons for this. Believe me, this is the closest you can get to actually being physically in Hong Kong to get true blue Cantonese style Yum Cha. Even I have managed to pick up some very handy cantonese phrases and words to use now :) " Yat long har gau, mh goi" (in broken pingying meaning, one serve of prawn dumplings pls, thank you!)

especially love it during my uni days because during the stressful times of staying up till the wee hours in the mornings to study, I can still get hot steaming buns and some of my favourite Yum Cha dishes even if I woke up late.
The dishes served here and back home are not entirely different but there are certainly more selections in terms of choices here. Most of them are a hybrid of western and eastern crusines like my favourite melted cheese with ham bits on scallops/oysters. Totally yummy! And they serve egg tarts and other sweets as well and I especially enjoy the mango pudding with evaporated milk. This is something that you can't simply find in anyone of the asian restaurants back home. In Melbourne, almost 80% of the restaurants here provide desserts as part of their menus whereas back home, only cafes and western restaurants have that (unless of course I'm so out of touch now with the eating culture in Malaysia that I am totally clueless and mistaken).
And so we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly like the ageing people that we are (haha) at Westlake restaurant for Yum Cha to celebrate Ada's birthday. The food was good, the company was great and most importantly, we get to sleep in before our brunch at 11.30am. What more can you ask for?? And so, Yum Cha is becoming more like a "must do" activity whenever someone comes to visit us. I will definitely schedule one of their afternoons for this. Believe me, this is the closest you can get to actually being physically in Hong Kong to get true blue Cantonese style Yum Cha. Even I have managed to pick up some very handy cantonese phrases and words to use now :) " Yat long har gau, mh goi" (in broken pingying meaning, one serve of prawn dumplings pls, thank you!)
No comments:
Post a Comment